Making a difference together – eight projects for social good.
Never underestimate the power of a small group of committed people to change the world. In fact, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead
In January this year, over fifty people came together for the very first Social Change Collaboratory Meetup in Melbourne. Most of us were not quite sure what to expect but had a feeling that this was the start of something special, and left feeling inspired and tremendously hopeful that we would certainly be doing something good.
Three months later, now with over 200 members in the group, we embark on our mission to make a positive mark on Melbourne’s social sector. We’ve been presented with eigh
t fantastic initiatives to choose from as collaborative projects for the group to work on for the next three to four months in this beta phase of the Social Change Collaboratory (SCC).
In addition to making a difference together by the work that we do, the aim is also to build capability in our network for social good and help seed ideas and drive innovation in the work we do within, and outside of, the SCC. So this Saturday we commence a monthly series of workshops designed to make us all more effective and skillful change-makers. Our first workshop – Designing Projects for Social Impact will provide us with an opportunity to apply the approach of design thinking and service design to five of the projects presented below, up to three of which we will then collaboratively develop as a group.
Which idea would you like to see happen?
I invite you to check out each of the projects below, and support the efforts of this terrific bunch of social entrepreneurs by offering them your advice, tips and thoughts on what they’ve presented, and any links to resources or people that you think can help make their ideas happen.
Please click the ‘like’ (thumbs up) button on any project you’d particularly like to see move forward, this will help us in our decision about which projects to work on as a group.
I also invite you to consider joining us in collaborating with the leaders of each of these projects and offering some of your much valued time, skills, knowledge and financial support.
1. da Base [food security] – James Jenkinson
2. Australian Sustainable Fashion Network [environment] – Lara McPherson and Nerida Lennon
3. Data Speak [climate change] – Robert Shepherd
4. Gathering 2011: To Build A Better Future [community] – David Hood
5. Positivitree [news] – Jack Francis
6. Social Arts Space [community] – Kumari Middleton
7. Fashionable Sustainability [environment] – Nerida Lennon
8. Let’s Build a Better Australia [community] – Robert Marino
Latest posts by David Hood (see all)
- EcoCity Food Forum 2013 with City of Melbourne - 16 May, 2013
- Digital Changemaker Apprenticeships - 16 April, 2013
- Unconference: 22 March, 2013 – EcoCity Food Forum Melbourne - 7 March, 2013